In this tutorial, we’ll go over how to move FTM to a new computer. While exporting your family tree, you’re creating a new file with all of your data, information, and media assets. On your first computer, the original file will remain untouched, allowing you to safely transfer the newly exported file to your second.
Steps to export a tree file
- On your PC, launch Family Tree Maker 2019.
- Select Export from the File option on the toolbar.
- The window for exporting the file will appear. You can either select Entire file to copy all persons to a new file or select individuals to select which individuals to export.
- Now you can choose an output format.
- After you’ve chosen the Output Format, go over the options for privatizing living persons, including private facts, and so on, before deciding what you want to export.
- To access the Export pane, click OK.
- Now you can save the file to your computer or to an external drive.
- If necessary, you can also alter the file name.
- Then, to finish, click Save.
You must have Family Tree Maker 2019 installed on both computers in order to move your files from one to the other. To relocate your data, you’ll need a detachable storage device, such as a thumb or flash drive, or an external hard disc.
Exit Family Tree Maker 2019 first, then look for your newly exported file’s location. Then right-click on the file icon and choose a copy from the menu.
This file is now ready to transfer to a USB flash drive. After placing your USB flash drive into an open USB port on your computer, go to the Start menu and select My Computer from the right.
A window will pop up, and your USB flash drive will be mentioned there. Click open once you’ve found it. Right-click on the empty spot in the window and select Properties. There will be a menu. Please select Paste from the drop-down menu.
You should see the file mentioned on your flash drive once this process is finished. You can now disconnect the drive from the first computer and connect it to the second. The Family Tree Maker 2019 file will be quickly copied to your USB flash drive. Once this process is complete, you should see the file stated on your flash drive. Depending on the size of your file, this step may take a few minutes. You can now detach the flash drive from the first computer and connect it to the second.
You’ll need to copy your file to the flash drive after installing it in your other computer before restoring it in Family Tree Maker.
Select Computer from the Start menu. Locate your USB flash drive and double-click on the drive symbol to open it.
Restoration of files
You can go to the following step now that your file has been transferred to your second computer. Keeping it in FTM will be a lot easier.
- To restore a file, go to the File menu and select Restore.
- On the Restore window, you will be able to select File. Go to the backup file’s location and double-click it to open it.
- Choose a name for the recovered file if necessary, then click Save.
- The file will be returned to its original state.